Hand-pieced Sampler

Hand-pieced Sampler

Monday, February 2, 2015

I'm glad that I can finally post a bit about the secret project I was working on.  I'm part of a private online quilting group that started a few years ago.  We keep in touch on Facebook and meet in person once a year at a retreat.  We come from Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina, and Florida.  One of our dearest members was going through a hard time, so we decided to make her a lap quilt with heart blocks made by us all. 

The blocks were sent to me along with some snowballs made by a few members, and it was my job to put the quilt together and quilt it on Big Mama, my longarm.  Here are a few of the blocks.  Aren't they charming?!


I decided to rely on my favorite - hand applique.  Here's mine:
I interspersed the 15 heart blocks with the snowballs.
Then I chose some border fabrics
and a flannel backing to make it cuddly.
Putting it together was sometimes challenging.  One woman's 6 1/2 inches is another woman's 6 1/4 inches, but I got it all to work.  Here's the finished top.


1 comment:

  1. I love it! I keep running my hands over the blocks and wishing I could be with all of you. Thank you so much. September can't come soon enough. And to think, mine is one of Big Mama's last quilts.

    ReplyDelete