Hand-pieced Sampler

Hand-pieced Sampler

Friday, February 13, 2015

I'm glad to be back to work on my butterfly quilt.  I have the butterfly on and embroidered, this time with gray thread, and I've started the grassy base.
For the grassy base, I've made five thick blades of grass from my gray/green/lavender batik.  I'm pretty pleased with the points on those narrow pieces.  I'm going to add at least twenty skinny blades of grass with embroidery.  I'm using one strand of green and one strand of gray in the needle.  I'll scatter tiny white embroidered flowers with a lavender bead center through the grass.  I think it will be close to my vision!
I also took a crazy quilt workshop at my guild on Sunday.  I went to the thrift shop downtown and bought a velvet scarf and a velvet children's dress.  I used the scarf in this block, but I couldn't quite make myself cut into the sweet little dress, which still has the tags on it.  Velvet is a son-of-a-gun to work with - especially when you're sewing it to silk.  Next time, I'll hand stitch those kinds of seams.  Our teacher, one of our guild members who did an excellent job, told us to take a photo of the unadorned block for reference.  Here's mine:
The center is brown velvet, and the upper right hand corner is the velvet lining of the scarf.  Most of the other pieces are silk.  I don't much like the look of it now.  I was trying to be brave with color.  I'm hoping that it will improve with piles of embellishment.   I have no idea what I'll do with this block, whether it will be a stand-alone or the first block in a big quilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment