Hand-pieced Sampler

Hand-pieced Sampler

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Diane commented on my last post that I could make index-card windows to audition different spots on my fabric for the three butterfly parts,  I followed her advice and chose a darker gray background for the back wing and body and a lighter shade with lots of spots for the front wing.
Today I finished appliqueing the bud and flower and pressed the fabric pieces around the freezer paper for the butterfly.  I laid the butterfly on the background to see how it looks so far.  I haven't attached the butterfly or done any embroidery yet, but I think it's going to be much better in this fabric.  (I still struggle to photograph the colors in their correct values.)

The bud will be connected to the stem with a slim embroidered stem.  I'm thinking of mixing green and lavender threads in that little stem and using two shades of gray thread for the lines on the butterfly.


2 comments:

  1. Lookin' good! How did you get the tail so THIN!? Wow, I'm impressed. Maybe you should give me lessons.

    I'm no photographer but I get my best photos outdoors on a cloudy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diane. If you promise not to tell anyone, I'll share my secret: a spot of Roxanne's basting glue at the raw-edge tip. Now we have to see if I can sew it onto to the background.

    ReplyDelete